It’s no secret that plump, full lips are widely considered to be attractive. Lip filler is the perfect solution for improving lip symmetry and treating vertical lip lines. In fact, the safest and the best dermal filler for lip enhancement is Hyaluronic Acid (HA) due to its natural extract from the body.
Dermal fillers for lips are minimally invasive cosmetic procedures performed at a doctor’s office with minimal downtime. In general, fillers are made from natural or biocompatible compounds like hyaluronic acid. Due to the easy application and instantaneous results, the popularity of lip fillers has risen over the past few decades.
What Makes A Good Lip Filler?
The goal of a good lip filler is to provide defined, smooth, and volumized lips while maintaining a natural look. In fact, the best fillers achieve aesthetic goals without the need to over-plump the lips, and should the results be unsatisfactory, they can be easily reversed. Overall, fillers should appear evenly distributed across the lips without lumps, bumps, or uneven areas.
What Are The Best Lip Fillers?
The best lip filler for an individual will depend on the unique needs and goals. The goal of lip fillers isn’t to make the lips as big as possible but to enhance their size and shape while maintaining the balance and proportions of the other facial features.
However, the first and most crucial step is selecting a highly-skilled and experienced provider. Below are different options for choosing a lip filler.
It is one type of hyaluronic acid dermal filler that effectively adds volume to the lips, as well as plumps the mouth area to treat smile lines and wrinkles. Juvéderm has a smoother gel consistency that is malleable that produces natural-looking results compared to other brands, such as Restylane.
Several types of Juvéderm filler include Ultra XC and Volbella XC, both used for the lips and surrounding area. These two have a mix of high and low-molecular-weight hyaluronic acid, which is referred to as cross-linked hyaluronic acids, that produce results that are long-lasting.
In terms of the concentration of hyaluronic acid, Ultra XC has 24 mg/mL, while Volbella has XC15 mg/mL. That said, this difference affects both the product’s consistency and longevity.
Nonetheless, Juvéderm results can be seen immediately after the procedure. As with all lip fillers, the final effects can be seen once the swelling resolves. The results from this lip filler last up to 1 year on average.
Restylane is considered very versatile as an augmenting agent and can produce results that are natural-looking. Definitely, this dermal filler is designed to add fullness to the lips or face, reduce the appearance of moderate wrinkles and folds, and treat crepey skin. Compared to Juvéderm, Restylane is a granular gel that results in a firmer viscosity. Because of that, the texture consistency enables this product to remain where placed.
While Restylane is used to enhance the lips and surrounding area, Restylane Silk, on the other hand, is developed explicitly for lifting and plumping lips, as well as defining borders and smoothening lines on the lips and around the mouth. Much like Juvéderm, improvements can be seen immediately, and results last 6–10 months on average.
Other Hyaluronic Acid Lip Fillers
Aside from Juvederm and Restylane, a wide range of lip fillers are similar and formulated to enhance lips, with differing characteristics.
It is another hyaluronic acid filler available in varying consistencies to lift the face or lip area. Belotero has specific products designed to volumize lips and reduce the look of lines, including the following:
- Belotero Balance: enhances lips and treats moderate-to-severe lip lines
- Belotero Soft: plumps lips and softens fine lines around the mouth
- Belotero Shape: enhances lip volume
- Belotero Contour: adds definition to lips
In one study review of Belotero balance, 93% of patients were very satisfied with their treatment.
Known as Captique before, the Prevelle Silk lip filler comprises a lower concentration of hyaluronic acid than other brands. While less expensive than other options, the effects aren’t as long-lasting, about 3–6 months on average.
This procedure involves harvesting fat from a body area, usually the buttocks, thighs, or stomach, to reinject t into the lips using a very fine needle. However, this is considered a more involved and invasive procedure compared to other lip filler options since several steps are involved.
Who Are Good Candidates Of Dermal Fillers For Lips?
Adults at least 21 who are in good health, have no medical conditions, and are nonsmokers are good candidates for lip injections. In addition, lip fillers can also be used in cases of:
- Having small lips, which is the most common case.
- In cases of asymmetry of the lips.
- In cases of lowering the lips from the corners, fillers will raise the corners of the lips.
- Wrinkles in the lips as growing old, so this is an “age control solution.”
- Cases of the appearance of the nasolabial folds “smile lines”.
However, people with the following conditions should avoid lip filler injections:
- Active infections or cold sores
- Autoimmune conditions such as lupus or rheumatoid arthritis
- Bleeding or blood clotting problems
- Allergy to lidocaine (local anesthetic)
What Are The Important Aftercare Tips After Lip Fillers?
Although results will appear immediately, taking care of the lips and following the doctor’s instructions can help enhance the outcome. Hence, the following are some simple instructions and precautions to speed up recovery and avoid any complications:
- Applying ice packs to the lips to reduce inflammation and swelling.
- Drink enough water.
- Avoid exposure to heat, such as saunas, for two days so that swelling does not increase.
- Stay away from smoking or smokers.
- Cosmetics or creams must not be used for at least 24 hours after lip injections.
- Use only water to clean your teeth, and avoid using toothpaste.
- Avoid exposure to the sun immediately after the injection.
- Avoid exercising for two days after the filler injection.
- Commit to sleeping on the back and avoid sleeping on the face.
- Eat food, fruits, and vegetables that are easy to chew, and stay away from citrus fruits.
- Avoid painkillers and nutritional supplements without consulting your doctor.
What Are The Possible Risk Or Side Effects Of Lip Fillers?
Similar to any medical procedure, there are risks involved with the use of dermal fillers. The common risks include:
- Difficulty in performing activities (only observed when injected into the back of the hand)
In that case, those who want to undergo the procedure should be tested for allergies before receiving dermal fillers made with certain materials, especially materials derived from animals, such as collagen.
The Bottom Line
Understanding proper lip proportions and achieving a balanced look that balances the rest of the facial features is vital to get the desired natural results. Skintuition Medical Aesthetics offers Dermal and Lip Fillers, a quick, non-invasive, and painless way to plump up and increase the volume of the lips with natural results. Furthermore, dermal fillers contain hyaluronic acid gel, a naturally occurring substance that hydrates and volumizes the skin and combats signs of aging.